St Mary's originated as a collegiate church. It was founded by King Edgar in the 10th century and remained a ‘Royal Peculiar’ until signed over to the Diocese by Queen Victoria. By at least the 13th century, it was served by a dean and nine canons. Excavations in 1864 revealed the presence of two earlier Saxon churches with a nave and an apsidal chancel. Building of the present church began in the 12th century, consisting of a nave without aisles, and a cruciform east end. A large west tower was added, and in about the 1170s the transepts were altered to provide altars for the canons. Construction of the aisles followed, first the south aisle with a porch. Work on the north aisle continued until the 1220s. The crossing was then rebuilt. In the early to mid 13th century the transepts were raised, and the chancel was lengthened and raised. During the 14th century the Trinity Chapel was added to the south of the chancel. In the following century, possibly about 1477 when a bequest was made to the church, further improvements took place, including the construction of a clerestory on the nave and chancel, which replaced the tower at the crossing and the chancel vault. At this time the transept roofs were reduced in height, a large east window was inserted, and larger windows were added to the aisles. It is possible that the spire was added to the west tower at this time. The church escaped any significant damage during the suppression of the college in 1548, or during the Civil War.
Did you know?
Along the south side exterior walls you will see peculiar vertical scratch marks in the stone work; this is where the medieval archers of the town sharpened their arrow heads prior to archery practise over the river.
St Mary’s has interpretation panels, friendly stewards, and the 1403 café all guaranteed to provide a fantastic visit. Opening times Monday – Saturday 10.00am - 4.00pm. Local car parking is available plus a ‘park & ride’ system, and local railway service.
Why not take a walk around the churches in town with our Three Wonders to Wander Through leaflet, download here.
Tel: 01743 357006
St Mary's Street
The details displayed on this page are copyright protected to Shropshire Tourism and are correct at the time of publication. Shropshire Tourism would like to advise all visitors to check prices & opening times with the venue prior to traveling in case of changes that might have occured since the publication of this page. Whilst Shropshire Tourism endeavours to ensure that the information on this site is correct, no warranty, express or implied, is given as to its accuracy and Shropshire Tourism does not accept any liability for error or omission. The directions above are for planning purposes only and should be used alongside a general roadmap or satnav system. Variables such as road/construction works, traffic, weather conditions etc may cause alterations to the route.
Brick History takes you on a journey through pivotal moments in world history, modelled in LEGO® bricks. This is...
Join us in the Battlefield cafe and enjoy a light deli starter before moving onto the main event… the puddings!...
SHREWSBURY FLEA is a fabulous mixture of Antiques and collectables, antique furniture, vintage clothing & fabrics,...
The event will focus around a Steampunk market at St Mary’s Church, but lots of exciting attractions will be...
Join the residents at Blists Hill Victorian Town, near Ironbridge in Shropshire as they...
Shropshire Council Rangers at The Mere in Ellesmere are delighted to be welcoming Stuart...
Weather called to a halt to the Shropshire Way 80K, mass participation walk this weekend....
Throughout 2018, Shrewsbury Museum & Art Gallery are offering reduced entry of £2 to...
This is the official tourism and visitor website for Shrewsbury provided by Shropshire Tourism, the official destination marketing organisation for Shropshire - read more