Shrewsbury Station

Shrewsbury railway station (formerly known as Shrewsbury General)

The original Shrewsbury Station was built in 1848. The station was extended between 1899 and 1903 by the construction of a new floor underneath the original station building requiring large buttresses to support it. The building style was imitation Tudor, complete with carvings of Tudor style heads around the window frames. This was done to complement the Tudor building of Shrewsbury School (now Shrewsbury Library) almost directly opposite. The station's platforms also extend over the River Severn. It was declared a grade 2 listed building in 1969.

Opposite platform 7 is a large concrete wall that divides the rest of the station from what could be considered to be platform 8. This platform does not see any use and was built to allow the discrete transportation of prisoners from the (now closed) Dana Prison opposite.


Events (Ongoing and Upcoming)

  • Feb

    08

    DarwIN Shrewsbury Festival

    This February, we will celebrate Shrewsbury as "The Origin of Independent Thinking" and birthplace of Charles Darwin -...

  • Feb

    09

    LEGOŽ: Brick History

    Brick History takes you on a journey through pivotal moments in world history, modelled in LEGO® bricks. This is...

  • Feb

    10

    Darwin Guided Walk

    Join one of our Visitor Information Centre guides exploring Shrewsbury and the places associated with Charles Darwin.Due...

  • Mar

    24

    Shrewsbury Flea Market

    SHREWSBURY FLEA is a fabulous mixture of Antiques and collectables, antique furniture, vintage clothing & fabrics,...

Latest News


This is the official tourism and visitor website for Shrewsbury provided by Shropshire Tourism, the official destination marketing organisation for Shropshire - read more